Problem Installing a SQL 2000 Named Instance

• I am trying to install a named instance of SQL Server 2000 on a machine with a default instance of SQL Server 7.0, and the SQL 2000 installation is failing. It seems to get successfully through most of the setup program, but when it reaches one of the last stepts where it attempts to start the server to intall the selected configuration it returns with a message stating that "Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and C:\winnt\sqlstp.log for more information." The sqlstp.log file shows that when the cnfgsvr.exe is run, it fails to connect to the server with the message "SQL Server does not exist or access denied." I am logged on with a local admin account, and the sql server and sql agent accounts were set up to use the local system account. I have tried intalling the sql 2000 instance with and without the sql 7.0 services running to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

• Can you have two versions of SQL Server running on the same server? It would seem that they would have to share services so, it doesn't seem possible. I have never tried so I don't know for a fact.

I'll be interested to read other posts.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• SQL Server 2000 supports installing multiple instances (called named instances) which can run simultaneously with each other as well as a default instance of SQL Server 7.0 (or 6.5). The services for the named instance are created as MSSQL$<instance_name> as well as SQLServerAgent$<instance_name>. When a client tries to connect to a server running multiple instances the client will get the default instance if only the server_name is supplied. If the client wishes to connect to a named instance, the client must specify server_name\instance_name in order to connect to a separately running named instance. Is anybody aware of any non-intuitive "tricks" that need to be accounted for during the intallation of a named instance of SQL Server 2000? Thanks for your help.

• Take a look at this thread (near bttom especially), should help you out.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3804&FORUM_ID=5&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Installing%20SQL%202000%20-%20Stuck%20in%20the%20mud!&Forum_Title=Administration

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thank you Anteres686. That thread looks VERY similar to the behavior I am witnessing. I will try the solution indicated at the end of that thread, and I will post my results. I thought I would include a portion of the output for the sqlstp.log file, since the error reported therein is a little different than the one that mhenriks experienced.

(note: server name and instance name changed)

09:53:07 C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\cnfgsvr.exe -F "C:\WINNT\sqlstp.log" -I MyInstance -V 1 -M 0 -Q "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" -H 393484 -U sa -P

###############################################################################

Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=ABC123\MYINSTANCE;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

SQL Server configuration failed.

###############################################################################

09:55:07 Process Exit Code: (-1)

10:01:12 Setup failed to configure the server. Refer to the server error logs and C:\WINNT\sqlstp.log for more information.

10:01:14 Action CleanUpInstall:

10:01:14 C:\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service SQLAgent$WFFCOM

10:01:16 Process Exit Code: (1060) The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

10:01:16 C:\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service MSSQL$WFFCOM

10:01:37 Process Exit Code: (0)

10:01:37 StatsGenerate returned: 2

10:01:37 StatsGenerate (0x8008227,0x1,0xf0000000,0x600,1033,303,0x0,0x1,0,0,0

10:01:37 StatsGenerate -1,edwarddb)

10:01:37 Installation Failed.

• UPDATE: I have done a little more research on my named instance installation problem as well as the similar problem that mhenricks was encountering, and I believe that my issue is different. According to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q285100,

In the Sqlstp.log file you can verify the naming failure by locating the following at the top of the log file:

12:30:08 Name = MYSERVER, Type = 0x1

12:30:08 ComputerName: MyServer

My computer name is all upper-case with some numbers, and the sqlstp.log file shows the identical characters for "Name" as it does for "ComputerName". I have not proceeded with the SSmsLPCn.dll replacement during install since this appears to be addressed specifically at the upper/lower case name scenario. In addition, my situation shows a slightly different connection problem when attempting to configure the server during the final phase of the installation. You can see the text pasted in my post above, but I include it here for easy reference:

"SQL Server does not exist or access denied"

One more note, I did encounter a 7.0 note that mentioned that the account used for the MSSQLServer service must have full control for the installation path. I am using the local system account, and I have verified that it does have full control privileges. If anybody is still reading this thread and has any ideas, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply