problem connecting from other computer...

• Hi everyone..

I have a problem connecting to SQL server. The specifications are given below:

Server-OS-Win 2k3 server standard ed

Client- Win XP

Connected with LAN

Sql Server-SQL Server 2000 standard Ed running default instance.

Possible: I can access and can create ODBC connection when i was using sql7. I can ping the server. I can create ODBC DSN in the local computer. Firewall is turned off.

Not possible: I can't create telnet connection on port 1433. So it is not possible to create ODBC DSN from other computers on LAN.

Error message: Can not find the server or access denied. connect() failed.

please help..

thanks in advance

Chhana

• Have you applied service pack 3 or higher to your sql server?

Windows 2003 won't let remote computers connect to unpatched sql servers.

• You can't connect from the client machine which is Windows XP, correct? If so, did you recently apply XP service pack 2? That service pack turns on the Microsoft Firewall which by default blocks Port 1433.

-SQLBill

• we had a similar problem the other day with an MSDE engine ... in our case (for whatever bizarre reason!  ), the server didn't have any network protocols enabled! The fix there was simply to add TCP/IP to the protocols list with the "Server Network Utility" ... MAY not be the issue ur having, but worth checking!?

Cheers

Vinny

• Hi everyone,

I've applied SP3 to SQL server 2000 and it works now. Thank you all for your precious contributions. I still don't pinpointed the fault because it worked for SQL Server 7(no SP) with other configuration kept same.

Thank you again

-Chhana

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply