Problem Changing Job Names in Replication Script

• I implemented replication and scripted the entire process (including jobs). I modified the job names within the scripts to comply with our naming conventions. After I run the script SQL Server creates the Snapshot, Distribution and Log Reader Jobs with my job names, but also creates a second set of Snapshot and Distribution jobs using its own naming convention. The replication agents that are created only reference the SQL Server generated jobs, not the ones where I modified the names. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks, Dave

• In BOL look at the doc for each of the SPs used in replication (sp_addpublication, etc.) and you notice that the job names are marked as for internal use only. You can provide a job name on the step but SQL Server will not use it for it's own processing.

Steve Armistead,

Database Administration

Panther Systems, Inc.

Vancouver, WA

Steve

• I noticed the "For Internal Use Only", but wasn't sure what it meant. Since Job_Name was being offered as a parameter I thought it was valid for me to change the Job_Name. Now I'm wondering why it's even listed as a parm if you can't use it.

Thanks, Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply