Private Messages

• We have raised the PM limit to 150 from 100. Please remove old private messages to reduce the load on the database if you do not need them.

• Jeff'll be thrilled!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Perhaps I'm having a low-caffeine day, but figuring out HOW to delete PM's wasn't exactly straightforward.

For those who need to do this:

1. move all of the messages you want to delete to the deleted items folder. (a.k.a. click the messages you want gone, then pick the Move to Deleted items from the DDL at the bottom of the screen).

2. empty your Deleted folder. Click the "Empty PM folder" on the left side of the screen (not in the rea where the folders are), and pick just the DELETED folder.

Must be getting set in my ways - I was expecting to see the word DELETE somewhere....:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I'd be happy to delete mine... right after someone tells me how to download them all. I'd like to keep the ones that still remain.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (2/23/2009)

I'd be happy to delete mine... right after someone tells me how to download them all. I'd like to keep the ones that still remain.

I'm going to assume that copy-and-pasting them into a Word document won't accomplish what you need. So, starting from that assumption, what is it that you need to download?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'd like to be able to click on a folder and select "Download" and have it create a simple file (or, 1 file each) instead of manually opening each PM, copying, pasting... repeat until done.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Don't know if Steve can easily add that to the page, but you might be able to bribe him into doing something like selecting your messages from the database and saving the results into a file. Or he could have some fun setting up a button that sends the results of a query to you by e-mail.

Property of The Thread

• I could grab them from the DB. We won't add "download", but perhaps an "forward on to an email" would be nice.

The delete is a mess. You have to move them to "deleted", then empty that. Quite annoying.

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/23/2009)

I could grab them from the DB. We won't add "download", but perhaps an "forward on to an email" would be nice.

The delete is a mess. You have to move them to "deleted", then empty that. Quite annoying.

That would work nicely.

Understood on the DELETED thing. It's pretty simple to do that.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/23/2009)

I could grab them from the DB. We won't add "download", but perhaps an "forward on to an email" would be nice.

Forwarding to an e-mail would be nice.

Property of The Thread

• How do you navigate to your private messages?:unsure:

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Welsh Corgi (6/22/2012)

How do you navigate to your private messages?:unsure:

Top left, right above Home > [Forum name], the link that reads "Messages"

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply