Printed Books Vs E-Books

• I've moved over to e-books (1) because they are less expensive and (2) easy to download and use immediately. I much prefer PDFs, which are closer to printed book format, to the reflow format. PDF readers have more features. I find it useful to open a new window in Adobe Reader X and hold one page fixed to refer to while scrolling pages in the other window. I agree with others that PDFs are more suited to large screens.

• There is something to be said about actually having a book in hand, maybe it is a bit old school, but I do like having the actual book. However, reality sets in and I have realized it is much more practical to use the Kindle for the iPad, more books and no shelf space required. When I make book recommendations in the SQL Server classes, many times students ask if there are electronic versions of the book available.

• All of them?

Right now, I have 3 SQL books [and a bunch of non computer books] on my phone, about 15 SQL books on my tablet, a bunch of PDF books on my laptop/desktop, and a bookcase filled with yet more 'real' books. I prefer real books when I'm dealing with my SQL books but am usually too impatient to wait the whole 3 days to get the real book in the mail or get out of my car and actually walk into a bookstore which usually doesn't have much beyond the ____ for Dummies books.

• I like both, but when trying to work through something,it's nice to be able to cut/paste code from a PDF into VS/SSMS.

• Hands down... a pdf fan!

Noli Timere
  • I use a lot of PDFs because there are so many free books available. I also love the portability so I can keep them in different places.

When I'm spending money though, I usually prefer a hard copy book. I find them easier on my eyes.

• I still prefer printed-books because they give a more accurate sense of reading progress :hehe:

• One edge for printed book over ebook .. motivational thought " if I had invested money for this boom I should invest time too

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• laraya (10/10/2013)

I still prefer printed-books because they give a more accurate sense of reading progress :hehe:

When I first started reading kindle books on my iPad I had the same feeling. But now it seems that most of the kindle books I get now will actually tell you that your on page# X out of XXX. Which has made it a little bit better. But I do agree with the sense of reading progress you get from physical books... there is definitely a nice feeling when the pages your holding in your right hand are a lot smaller than the pages your holding in your left hand.

I've been tracking the books I read every year (~50) and this year I started tracking if it's a physical book or eBook/Kindle. It's been about 2/3 physical books, 1/3 eBooks.

• I prefer books because I can make notes, dog-ear pages, spill coffee on it, etc. Plus, I can still read it even when the batteries are dead, and the stewardesses almost never make me turn off the book during takeoff and landing.

However, I like PDFs as well, since it's easier than carting a box of reference books to every remote location I might go to.

My best answer: Book + PDF

• Books are definitely better for autographs and memories. 😀

• John Clary (10/10/2013)

Books are definitely better for autographs and memories. 😀

+1

I have some books signed by Chris Webb, Marco Russo, Mladen Pradic, Kevin Kline and soon Mark G Stacey.

I seem like a SQL groupie 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply