Print a nvarchar variable

• I was bit by this developing one time. I was genericizing a stored procedure to work with newer tables as they were created (the procedure was for cleaning up old archive data), so I had a very large dynamic sql query. A column was added to an already long table, pushing the dynamic query outside its variable size. When I tried to print to see how much I was off by, I only got 4000 characters. It wasn't until someone told me that PRINT wouldn't give me everything did I realize that, even though I was expanding the variable size and the query will work, the PRINT would continue to mislead me.

• Interesting question - but I am hoping there will be a final resolution in the comments about a possible error in the explanation?

Thanks.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Toreador (8/11/2015)

"however, you have to append in increments with each increment less than or equal to 4000"

Not true.

declare @test-2 nvarchar(max) = ''

select @test-2 = @test-2 + N'x' + cast(space(6000) as nvarchar(max)) + N'x'

select len(@test)

select @test-2 = @test-2 + N'x' + cast(space(6000) as nvarchar(max)) + N'x'

select len(@test)

returns 6002 and 12004

I agree. Thanks for pointing this.

Thanks,
    Naveen.
    Every thought is a cause and every condition an effect

• briankwartler (8/11/2015)

And for those of you who are wondering why LEN(@SQL) is 48,893 it's because

LEN(', CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), CAST(1 AS INT )) as ABC') is 47 and there are 9 single-digit numbers (1 through 9)

LEN(', CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), CAST(10 AS INT )) as ABC') is 48 and there are 90 two-digit numbers (10 through 99)

LEN(', CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), CAST(100 AS INT )) as ABC') is 49 and there are 900 three-digit numbers (100 through 999)

LEN(', CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), CAST(1000 AS INT )) as ABC') is 50 and there is 1 four-digit number (1000)

47 * 9 = 423

48 * 90 = 4320

49 * 900 = 44100

50 * 1 = 50

and 423 + 4320 + 44100 + 50 = 48893

Superb explanation. Thanks Brian

Thanks,
    Naveen.
    Every thought is a cause and every condition an effect

• SQLRNNR (8/11/2015)

Yes the string length in the messages tab is 4000 characters. And the variable length is 48,893. Are you seeing something different in the messages tab?

Damn 😎 didn`t see the last line of code.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Hany Helmy (8/12/2015)

SQLRNNR (8/11/2015)

Yes the string length in the messages tab is 4000 characters. And the variable length is 48,893. Are you seeing something different in the messages tab?

Damn 😎 didn`t see the last line of code.

It was easy to miss.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thats the size limitation. Good to remember the basics.

Thanks.

• Mighty (8/11/2015)

Toreador (8/11/2015)

"however, you have to append in increments with each increment less than or equal to 4000"

Not true.

+1

Not sure where that assumption is coming from. Seems incorrect to me too.

This incorrect assumption comes from a very comon mistake made when people write simple test code, e.g.

SET @TestVar = @TestVar + REPLICATE('x', 10000);

The 'x' is interpreted as varchar, not varchar(max), so the end result of the REPLICATE is a varchar(8000) value that will then be appended to @TestVar

You will not have this problem if you change the code to

SET @TestVar = @TestVar + REPLICATE(CAST('x' AS varchar(MAX)), 10000);

On the question - I seem to remember that the maximum string length displayed in SSMS is actually a configurable setting.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis (8/13/2015)

Mighty (8/11/2015)

Toreador (8/11/2015)

Not true.

+1

Not sure where that assumption is coming from. Seems incorrect to me too.

This incorrect assumption comes from a very comon mistake made when people write simple test code, e.g.

SET @TestVar = @TestVar + REPLICATE('x', 10000);

The 'x' is interpreted as varchar, not varchar(max), so the end result of the REPLICATE is a varchar(8000) value that will then be appended to @TestVar

You will not have this problem if you change the code to

SET @TestVar = @TestVar + REPLICATE(CAST('x' AS varchar(MAX)), 10000);

On the question - I seem to remember that the maximum string length displayed in SSMS is actually a configurable setting.

In SSMS you can configure the maximum length displayed in result sets (up to 65,535 characters for grid view or 8,192 for text view), but not from PRINT -- that's restricted by SQL Server: "A message string can be up to 8,000 characters long if it is a non-Unicode string, and 4,000 characters long if it is a Unicode string."

Results to Grid options: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187068.aspx

(The help page for Results to Text does not specify a limit, but any value > 8,192 is replaced with 8,192.)

PRINT: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176047.aspx

• Good question, nice tidbit, thanks.

• SO why is 48893 wrong?

• The correct answer is:

Variable @SQL accepts 48,893 as string length but Print @SQL does not display more than 4000 characters

See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176047.aspx and in particular, under Remarks, where the article states the following:

A message string can be up to 8,000 characters long if it is a non-Unicode string, and 4,000 characters long if it is a Unicode string. Longer strings are truncated. The varchar(max) and nvarchar(max) data types are truncated to data types that are no larger than varchar(8000) and nvarchar(4000).

- Brian

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply