Primary key vs Unique key

• I presumed the unique key meant the uniqueness of the collection of columns making up this key. When all values are null, that was a null unique key. When some of the columns in the unique key combination were null and some were not, then I did not consider that "unique key" to be null.

• Primary key creates a clustered index by default, only if there is no existing clustered index. It's often the case that you want a clustered index on something other than the primary key.

I find it is always best to be explicit rather than rely on defaults. Especially with things like NULL/NOT NULL on columns, and CLUSTERED.

• Koen Verbeeck (10/28/2014)

serg-52 (10/28/2014)

"only one null " is someway misleading. Precisley it's a "only one null value per column".

If the unique index is not a filtered index 😉

And the link for that

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1398745-2867-1.aspx#bm1398825 😀

And there is also this discussion on the same topic from a QOTD.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1402655-3290-1.aspx

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• davoscollective (10/28/2014)

Primary key creates a clustered index by default, only if there is no existing clustered index. It's often the case that you want a clustered index on something other than the primary key.

I find it is always best to be explicit rather than rely on defaults. Especially with things like NULL/NOT NULL on columns, and CLUSTERED.

I, too, prefer to be explicit in my code. It's more readable and protects you in case the defaults ever change in a later version.

Thanks for the question, Rabih. It's generating a terrific discussion.

• Basic Interview question.

Easy ..!!

• Hugo Kornelis (10/28/2014)

One NULL is correct for a single-column constraint, not for composite. A better way to phrase it is that a UNIQUE constraint allows NULLs (as per ANSI standard), but treats NULL as a normal value that also has to conform to the uniqueness constraint (in violation of that same standard).

I wish BOL has clear wording like that. Or even more werbose, kind of

ALTER TABLE t ADD CONSTRAINT cu UNIQUE (a [,...n] ) means that for every row rNew being inserted into t (update is considered as delete + insert) there must hold

NOT EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM t WHERE (t.a = rNew.a OR COALESCE(t.a, rNew.a) IS NULL) [AND ...n] )

• I answered Primary Key won't allow nulls and Unique Key allows one null and I got it wrong - but it's showing correct in the answer?

• +1 great question. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply