prevent compressing of DB files

• I'm running express 2008 on my XP Home SP3 machine and I like to run MS Disk Cleanup which compacts files.Problem is is from time-to-time it compresses my files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data

It is a pain to realize this has happened, stop SQL Server, uncompress the files and restart the service.

This is more of an XP question, but how can I prevent certain files and folders from being compressed and still use MS Disk Cleanup to compress all the other files?

• Could be wrong but I thought SQL Express had Autoclose as a default option.

If that's the case then changing Autoclose on each database from True to False should prevent them from being compressed since the files would be in use as long as SQL is running.

Another option is to prevent Disk Cleanup from compressing files on the entire volume: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812248

• Can you move the data and log files elsewhere? Detach the DB, move the files, reattach from a new location.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply