Prelogin Packet structurally invalid

• I receive the following error message when trying to execute the ExistsOnSqlServer method call from the application object:

The prelogin packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: <named pipe>]

I am trying to run this on my machine which has SQLExpress installed on it.  I can connect to the instance of SQLExpress through the management studio with no problem.  I get this same type of message if I usethe TCP/IP connectivity as well.  Right now I locked it down to named pipes to concentrate on one connection type assuming if I figured it out for one it would work for the others.  I can also open a connection using a SQLConnection and ConnectionString within this same application, so I know I have permissions to the db and the client can connect.

I am running Windows XP Professional, SQLExpress, and SQL Server 2000 on this machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I just started seeing this on one of my servers.  Does anyone have any ideas what would cause this?  It is occurring on a maintenance plan backup job that has worked in the past.

• we are facing the similar problem cansome one help us

• I also have this problem.

It seems to follow the this error in the Application event log:

FallBack certificate initialization failed with error code: 4.

• I am also getting this message generated from a SQL 2005 SP2 server accompanied with a SQL 'Server Alert System: '020 - Fatal Error in Current Process'.

• i think i have the same problem, after upgrade from sql server 2000 to sql server 2005 express edition always get error message from client "prelogin failure"

can anyone help me?

• Hi,

I was having similar problem, here is what resolved this issue

for me:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\"sql startup account"\Application

Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-21......

(where "sql startup account" should be the name of your startup account

for sql server")

2 Backup and then delete any files in the S-1-5-21etcetc folder. (but

don't delete the folder)

3. Restart SQL Server.

Try this..

• Jeff,

Did this work for you? I'm having the same problem, exact error message. But my problem started when I changed the password for the owner of the database.

Please reply.

• I never actually tried this fix. My initial problem was over a year ago and I have since reinstalled SQL Server, and upgraded my environment several times. i believe i even abandoned the approach I was taking when I ran into this problem. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Developer edition express edition will throw this error, change to Std\ent edition I hope fully that will fix.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply