PReformance monitor

• Can i log the Performance monitor events and store them some where for analysing the performance some time later??

• Depending on the Version of SQL tyours is from you can save to file or table when you set the trace up. These options are on the first page of the trace settings.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I am talking about the performance monitor not profiler.I am running on SQL 2000.Could you please tell me how.

Thanks in advance.

• Open Performance Monitor

Click View Log, Options Log and then enter the name you want to save it as (*.log) and change the interval seconds to something larger than its set to or you'll end up with a huge file. Then click Save.

Click the + button on the menu bar and add in the server and counters which you might want to monitor. Then go back to Options Log and click start log. You can leave it collecting for as long as you want. obviously leaving the performance monitor open.

When you want to view the results, click view chart and options Data From and browse to find the log you have saved. As soon as you do this, the log file will stop collecting data. Then from the + button on the chart screen add in the counters you want. If you want to see it in excel for example, do file - export chart and save it as a .csv file and then open it in excel.

Hope that made sense, as you can tell, i've been doing this perf monitor thing a bit too much recently!!

...Meg

• My bad, thanks Meg for picking up the ball.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply