Preferred SQL monitoring tools?

• Currently using the activity monitor GUI from both SQL2005 and 2008 against sql2008 db's and 2005 db's. I find the 2008 activity monitor very useful, but still rely on the old 2005 at times. Also use SQL profiler, windows Resource Monitor as well as custom data collections on the db servers. I have found the monitoring tools in Windows Server 2008 to be very helpful.

In hopes of simplifying my life, I am ready to begin experimenting with some alternatives, but first wanted to pick your brains so that I don't waste time testing/installing crap.

Mostly monitor locks, performance issues, logs, jobs, etc - all the usual stuff...

I have read good things about:

SQL Diagnostics Manager

http://www.idera.com/Products/SQL-Server/SQL-diagnostic-manager/

perf advisor

http://sqlsentry.net/success-stories/awards-reviews.asp

zero impact

http://www.sqlpower.com/products/index.html

sql toolbelt

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_professional_toolbelt/index.htm

Recommendations, opinions?

Thanks

• We use SQL Diagnostics Manager to monitor our 2000/2005/2008 servers. After using it 2 or 3 years, we are still very pleased.

• Others to consider are SCOM (Microsoft System Center Operations Manager), Quest tools, loads out there.

Personally I prefer an agent based install VS a remote connection

Reason being that when things go wrong the remote connection versions add more pressure to the server, etc. I think this is more of a personal preference though.

Just dont become too reliant on external tools, a lot of companies dont allow them, have the expense for them, have a preferred supplier, etc.

• Try SQL Stripes. It does all of the above and much more

www.sqlstripes.com

• I'd prefer Idera's SQL Diagnostic Manager. Thats really a wonderful tool.

You can even go with Redgate's SQL Monitor. Redgate tools are also excellent and are much cheaper than Idera's.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy.

• I've been using the RedGate tools for a long time, and find they do a very good job.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I am downloading the 14 day trial of SQL Diagnostic Manager as I type. Redgate will be second on my list once the trial expires.

Thanks!

• If you are looking to monitor the SQL Agent, give SQL Agent Insight a try. You can find it at http://www.brentec.ca. It will give a good overall picture of job status' along with alerting via email if core metrics deviate from configured thresholds.

Regards.

• SkyBox (1/5/2011)

I am downloading the 14 day trial of SQL Diagnostic Manager as I type. Redgate will be second on my list once the trial expires.

Thanks!

Could you post some of your tought on what you think about both tools (if you try both)?

What's nice, what's missing, install problem, etc ...

It's always good to have that kind of info from different peoples.

• Oliiii (1/6/2011)

SkyBox (1/5/2011)

I am downloading the 14 day trial of SQL Diagnostic Manager as I type. Redgate will be second on my list once the trial expires.

Thanks!

Could you post some of your tought on what you think about both tools (if you try both)?

What's nice, what's missing, install problem, etc ...

It's always good to have that kind of info from different peoples.

I only tried the SQL Diag. Manager and fell in love with it. After using it for about 6 months, I highly recommend it if you are short staffed or inexperienced.

It saves me so much time, plus it comes with a slew of very useful canned reports (& custom) that are deployable to an SSRS reporting server. I now have SSRS scheduled subscriptions for the key reports. They are emailed to me every Monday.

Also has a history browser that allows you to go back to any point in time and drill down into processes. The Idera SQL doctor is also a great product, but that's another topic.

Definitely worth the investment for me...

• We gave Idera DM and Quest Spotlight a go side by side and went with Quest, to get a good comparision, I would try as many as you can before you make a decission.

The thing that through Spotlight for us was the custom counters section where we wrote our own code to monitor our Sybase SQL Anywhere databases to which there was no monitoring software for the version as it was all written for Sybase ASE not Sybase ASA.

• We use the custom counter feature in Idera DM, too. It can really add to the functionality for those things that may be specific to your site.

• croberts 36762 (6/24/2011)

We use the custom counter feature in Idera DM, too. It can really add to the functionality for those things that may be specific to your site.

Thats an excellent feature for Idera. As are the work queues and comments.

I did a product selection on these types of tools a couple of years ago and I went with idera. I would be more cautious as to my selection now since it can be quite a big footprint on very heavy use systems such as busy websites.

• MysteryJimbo (6/24/2011)

croberts 36762 (6/24/2011)

We use the custom counter feature in Idera DM, too. It can really add to the functionality for those things that may be specific to your site.

Thats an excellent feature for Idera. As are the work queues and comments.

I did a product selection on these types of tools a couple of years ago and I went with idera. I would be more cautious as to my selection now since it can be quite a big footprint on very heavy use systems such as busy websites.

The email alerts are also very helpful - I particularly appreciate the "Blocked Session Count" email alert. There's also a mobileManager app for Blackberry and you can kill blocking spids from your phone.

I could go on and on....

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply