Precedence Constraints 'From Nowhere'

• How do people handle the case where they want to apply precedence constraints right from the start of their package. This sort of thing:

2020-05-28_08-27-12

(Excuse the graphics!!)

I've done this in the past by creating an empty Sequence container and taking the constraints from that, but it seems a little inelegant, so I'm looking for other ideas.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I've done similar things. I tend to use a Expression task instead, but same idea. I don't think there is anything you can natively do. Seems that Microsoft expect you to decide outside of the package if it's going to need to be run or not, which isn't always possible (especially in an Agent Job scenario).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I unfortunately don't know of a more elegant way, and have used empty script tasks in the past as a starting point.

• Phil, that's the same way I handle it. It feels a little clunky, but it works. Function before form 🙂

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• That's effectively the same answer, from three posters I trust, so I'll just carry on doing it this way! Thanks to you all for taking the time to respond.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply