PowerView... is it just me?

• Anybody using (and like) PowerView? Are there any good resources on it? I kinda like PowerPivot (just having a hard time getting my head around it)... but PowerView is a mystery to me...

Got any reading I should do? Good books, articles?

Thanks

Pieter

• pietlinden (9/15/2015)

Anybody using (and like) PowerView? Are there any good resources on it? I kinda like PowerPivot (just having a hard time getting my head around it)... but PowerView is a mystery to me...

Thanks

Pieter

No I don't think it's just you;-), I've seen quite some confusion on this.

😎

Probably the best article I've seen explaining the two is this one : Understanding PowerPivot and Power View in Microsoft Excel 2013 by Tyler Chessman, well worth reading.

• pietlinden (9/15/2015)

Anybody using (and like) PowerView? Are there any good resources on it? I kinda like PowerPivot (just having a hard time getting my head around it)... but PowerView is a mystery to me...

Thanks

Pieter

I have used Power View for a while.

The tool is made to be user friendly. So just create a Power Pivot model and start exploring 😀

(if you google for power view tutorial you can find plenty of resource material)

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• There are a number of courses on the Microsoft Virtual Academy concerning PowerView, PowerPivot, PowerQuery and PowerBI in general.

Regards

Lempster

• Lempster (12/24/2015)

There are a number of courses on the Microsoft Virtual Academy concerning PowerView, PowerPivot, PowerQuery and PowerBI in general.

Regards

Lempster

Power View is dead 🙂

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Was it removed in 2016? I didn't really ever use it much... just never had a reason to.

That said, anybody know what MS's plans are with reporting? It seems all the ad hoc type stuff/data exploration is getting pushed to Excel and/or PowerBI. I guess that leaves standard parameterized reports for SSRS and subscriptions?

PowerView isn't dead, it's just hidden... you have to show it or whatever on the ribbon, I think. (Found an article about it somewhere... can't remember where now.)

• pietlinden (12/25/2015)

Was it removed in 2016? I didn't really ever use it much... just never had a reason to.

That said, anybody know what MS's plans are with reporting? It seems all the ad hoc type stuff/data exploration is getting pushed to Excel and/or PowerBI. I guess that leaves standard parameterized reports for SSRS and subscriptions?

PowerView isn't dead, it's just hidden... you have to show it or whatever on the ribbon, I think. (Found an article about it somewhere... can't remember where now.)

He he, just did this the other day on 2016, link is here.

😎

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply