Powershell Primers - SQL focussed

• Hi folks, I know there is a lot of powershell howto's and tutorials online, but I was wondering if there were any resources that also focussed on how it related to SQL Server, maybe not necessarily at an intro level, but something to learn after you've learned the powershell basics?

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• The one good source I know of is Allen White's blog. He's also published a couple of articles over at Simple Talk. If you find anything else good, let me know.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (7/22/2009)

The one good source I know of is Allen White's blog. He's also published a couple of articles over at Simple Talk. If you find anything else good, let me know.

I found specific articles but not much of an overview. However, apparently the SQL 2008 books online has it, as I saw on the Microsoft BOL site as well as scripts in the Powershell.com site.

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• The overviews will barely get your feet wet. It's a hard thing to learn, or least I've found it to be so far.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (7/22/2009)

The overviews will barely get your feet wet. It's a hard thing to learn, or least I've found it to be so far.

I found a training pdf for Microsoft online (shhh...). It's legal, no disclaimers on it, so it will be a start. 😀

• Right now I'm using mainly http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/winpsh/manual/default.mspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281954.aspx.

As Grant says, it is not very easy...

Gaby, if it's legal, can you post details about finding that pdf?

• Wrox also has recently published a book focused on SQL Administration using PowerShell. The first 9 chapters are PS based, but it does seem to have a focus towards SQL administration even then. After that it talks about daily administration and basic programming aspects using SMO in PowerShell. I have bought it, but have not gone through it enough to give an honest opinion one way or the other. Reviews seem positive though.

SQL Server 2008 Administration Using PowerShell

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply