Powershell deployment to Production

• I have been working on a project that soon will need to be run from a server through an SSIS package. I am trying to anticipate the System Administrator questions I am going to get. How are PowerShell scripts and processing handled typically in a secure company network?

My understanding is that the PowerShell process will be run from the SQL Server Agent. I am not clear about other things and considerations.

Thanks

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. ~ Einstein
    select cast (0x5365616E204465596F756E67 as varchar(128))

• I think you need to specify a little more before anyone could give specific suggestions and/or advice.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Not security related, but relevant if you use the PowerShell subsystem in SQL Agent. Make sure you choose a proper number of PowerShell worker-threads for SQL Agent to allow to run concurrently. See this thread: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1245048-1550-1.aspx

Re: security, some random thoughts, some not necessarily PS-specific:

- make sure you set the ExecutionPolicy on your server appropriately before deploying any code

- use Windows Authentication wherever possible; if you must use a login & password to do work do not store in plain-text

- store scripts in a secure location so unauthorized code cannot be injected into your scripts for later execution under elevated permissions

- use SQL Agent proxy accounts so scripts only run with privileges necessary to do their work, nothing more, nothing less

I hope that helps.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Thank you very much opc.three. It does help a great deal!

opc.three (3/8/2012)

Not security related, but relevant if you use the PowerShell subsystem in SQL Agent. Make sure you choose a proper number of PowerShell worker-threads for SQL Agent to allow to run concurrently. See this thread: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1245048-1550-1.aspx

Re: security, some random thoughts, some not necessarily PS-specific:

- make sure you set the ExecutionPolicy on your server appropriately before deploying any code

- use Windows Authentication wherever possible; if you must use a login & password to do work do not store in plain-text

- store scripts in a secure location so unauthorized code cannot be injected into your scripts for later execution under elevated permissions

- use SQL Agent proxy accounts so scripts only run with privileges necessary to do their work, nothing more, nothing less

I hope that helps.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. ~ Einstein
    select cast (0x5365616E204465596F756E67 as varchar(128))

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply