PowerGui Script Editor

• Hey all,

I'm using the PowerGUI Script Editor to work on some scripts, and I'm constantly in fear of accidentally pushing the F5 button and getting the scripts to execute! :w00t:

My scripts stop and start services, so this could end up being a career-limiting mistake... :sick:

What other options do I have for working with powershell scripts so I get a nice color-coded interface without the constant fear of the script executing accidentally?

How do people approach this issue?

Is Visual Studio a better tool? Or SSMS?

(I don't want to use notepad, if I can help it... ) :crazy:

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• I use PowerGUI Script Editor too and have the same concern. The way I get around it is to put "return 0" as the first line of code and then I remove it only when I'm ready to test.

Lots of people rave about Powershell Plus as an alternative I've never used it so I can't comment.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic724108-1351-1.aspx?Update=1

You can get a free trial at but after that it costs $145 per user.

-- Wobble Chops

• Wobble Chops (5/30/2009)

I use PowerGUI Script Editor too and have the same concern. The way I get around it is to put "return 0" as the first line of code and then I remove it only when I'm ready to test.

Lots of people rave about Powershell Plus as an alternative I've never used it so I can't comment.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic724108-1351-1.aspx?Update=1

You can get a free trial at but after that it costs $145 per user.

-- Wobble Chops

Interesting info, thanks!

I like the "return 0" trick.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• You can customize the action to be taken by a hot-key including removing the association.

From the menu, pick "tools" , "customize" and then the "keyboard" tab. From the list, pick the command and dis-associate from the hot-key by clicking the "remove" button.

The command will still be available under the menu.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply