Post upgrade steps for SQL Server 2008

• Hi,

I have Upgraded the SQL Server 2005 instance to SQL Server 2008 SP1 using side-by-side upgrade method and performed the below Post upgrade steps and want to make sure the order of the steps are correct or not? and do I need to perform any other Post upgrade steps? please advice me

1. Change the Compatibility mode to 100

2. Run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE

3. Run DBCC CHECKDB(DBNAME) WITH DATA_PURITY

4. Run DBCC CHECKDB(DBNAME) WITH NO_INFOMSGS

5. Run SP_UPDATESTATS for all database

Thanks

• 1. Change the Compatibility mode to 100

2. Run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE

4. Run DBCC CHECKDB(DBNAME) WITH NO_INFOMSGS

5. Run SP_UPDATESTATS for all database

You can also include rebuild indexes as a post upgrade step after Step4.

• That looks pretty good to me.

I like to also compare row counts before and after to prove no records were lost as part of the upgrade process.

I agree with gmamata7, I would rebuild indexes if time permits.

You may wish to implement some of the new SQL 2008 features (especially compression) if you have performed analysis and testing on these features previously.

• @klnsuddu ,

you can compare the database login between SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.

Also, as a end step, you should take a backup of Database in sql 2008.

• If you rebuild the indexes, you can skip the stats update.

From BOL:

Operations such as rebuilding, defragmenting, or reorganizing an index do not change the distribution of data. Therefore, you do not need to update statistics after performing ALTER INDEX REBUILD, DBCC REINDEX, DBCC INDEXDEFRAG, or ALTER INDEX REORGANIZE operations. The query optimizer updates statistics when you rebuild an index on a table or view with ALTER INDEX REBUILD or DBCC DBREINDEX, however; this statistics update is a byproduct of re-creating the index. The query optimizer does not update statistics after DBCC INDEXDEFRAG or ALTER INDEX REORGANIZE operations.

• 2. Run DBCC UPDATEUSAGE

when you upgraded from SQL Server 2005 to 2008, are the above two steps required? if Yes then why we need to do that?

please advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply