Possible to copy SQL logins to new server?

• Hiya,

Is it possible to copy SQL Server logins between servers? I have had to upgrade to a new server and restore the databases but I also need the logins so I don't have to set everyone up with accounts again? Is it possible to just export the "sysxlogins" table to the new master database? Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Ross.

Edited by - stimpyjcat on 03/25/2002 03:41:06 AM

• I believe you should be able to but have never tried myself so I cannot be 100% it does. I believe if you do a search on syslogins and sysxlogins you will find a few threads about this.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Yes, you can do it. Either bcp sysxlogins, use the transfer login task in DTS, or you can actually use sp_addlogin to do it without knowing the passwords. The 'gotcha' is that depending on how you do it the SID for the login will change, so you may wind up with orphaned user info which you can fix with sp_change_users_login. There are several good threads about it, plus a couple related articles, one by me, one by Neil Boyle I believe.

Andy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply