Possible to change the data source in a deployed report?

• Hello - I have a report created in a dev environment which I would now like to deploy in a production environment, so I'd like to change the datasource from the dev db to the prod db. I don't know the process for doing this, so I am trying a process of adding the new prod db/datasource and then deleting the old/dev db/datasource. It says it will "permanently delete" the datasource I'm dumping. That sounds ominous. :unsure: I'm assuming it means "from the solution" NOT from the datasource list, but...

Anyone have any guidance on this before I take the plunge and delete?

Thank you --

Donna

• The first thing I would try is to deploy your report to your production environment. Then go into the Report manager and change the data source there. This assumes that all objects referred to in the report exist on the production server.

• Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I right clicked on the shared datasource pointing to the the dev datasource, after I had added the prod datasource, and selected "disassociated from the report" (or some verbiage like that - it was NOT the DELETE!) and I changed the datasource within the report. After I deployed it, I made sure that the datasource was correct out on the report server, and it all worked okay, so I guess that was the process to go through.

It definitely freaked me out, though, when it asked if I wanted to permanently delete the shared datasource! Good thing I fooled around with it some more before I elected to take that option. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply