Positive Blogging

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Positive Blogging

• Do the employees allow to write about the good things about the company in the corporate blog? If so, I don't see myself participate. A corporate blog should allow employees to write about their opinion about the good, the bad and the ugly of what they see in the corporation. However people may be afraid if they write something bad about the company, they will get in trouble.

There are many companies having employee surveys every year and guarantee that the employee name will not be revealed. However some employees still refuse to participate because they don't want to get in trouble.

• Steve, this sounds like good advice.

I'm a big advocate of keeping up with whatever technology you're working with, but I've been downright lazy about moving into the 'blogasphere'. I know all about web programming so it shouldn't be hard (I'm assuming). I'm going to look into this. If anyone has any pointers above and beyond Steve's editorial, let me know...

• Interesting topic. I work for a health care facility, so most of the employees are NOT technical computer users. Just 3 months ago, the librarians offered an 8-week, on-line "Web 2.0" course for all the employees. It covered blogs, RSS, wikis, social networking, web-based spreadsheets and word documents, and image/video sharing.

They created a blog for the weekly assignments, and had everyone in the class create their own blog and wiki sites. It was a nice crash course, and I really thought it was great that the institution supported the initiative.

The department I work in, being a technical group, already had a group blog, for posting progress/problems with projects. It has become one of the main methods we use to document our activities.

p.s. Someguy - the librarians found some instructional videos on YouTube about blogging, wikis, etc. that were pretty good at explaining the concepts.

• One source for info on starting a blog is the good WordPress tutorial on Webmonkey: http://www.webmonkey.com/tutorial/Get_Started_With_Wordpress. You don't have to have a *nix hosting service to run their software, you can start one directly on the WordPress site. If you're going to post code, search for the "syntax highlighter" plugin (thanks for the tip, Gayle!) I still don't have mine configured quite the way that I want it on my blog (linked on the button below).

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I needed the reminder to start a blog here in house. I do a lot of research and need to start identifying how it can be applied to the systems we are developing.

There are bbenenfits to doing it, but many who start do not continue on as time passes. I have read many a good blog that ran for 5-6 months and then stopped or slowed. If you start continue. You either do have readers or will have them as time passes.

Miles...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• If you're looking at starting a blog at work, you might want to consider a wiki in addition to or instead of. The software that powers Wikipedia, MediaWiki, is open source, available at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki. It will run on IIS or Apache, but you'll have to have PHP and either MySQL or PostgreSQL.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Gee, it would be nice if we could do this at my job, but I fear upper management would come down on us for using up precious bandwidth. Too bad - we have a lot of creative people here.

• I'd definitely recommend using a 3rd party blog service rather than hosting your own, and make sure it can use an offline writer. The return on investment for most blogs is hard to figure, more of a leap of faith - though I agree with Steve that it's worth doing....provided you stick to it!

Some misc thoughts on blogging on my own blog at http://blogs.sqlservercentral.com/andy_warren/archive/tags/Blog/default.aspx.

• For yourself, set up a technical blog today. It's free, and even if you never post, just try it. Andy has gotten me to think about it regularly, like setting a reminder to blog every week in Outlook. Write something every week about work, about something you did, wait a few weeks, and release it. That way you have a small pipeline and something to release every week.

Think of it as a way to cut interviews short. Put out the things you do that you're proud of, the things that you'd tell your next interviewer, and you'll find some value.

For the corporate blog, you need a few people to buy in. If you're having trouble hiring people, this is something to think about.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply