Poor Access 97 performance on W2K

• Hey dudes

We have a strange problem in our company. Whe have a lot of access 97 applications with a lot of linked tables etc...

When we open those application on a windows NT4.0 machine everything works fast. When we open the same application on a Windows 2000 machine with access 97 it's extremely slow.

Does anyone had any idea?

Regards

• When you go to XP, which I highly recommend considering MS no longer supports prior desktop OS, you will have even more problems.  Access is meant to be a single-user solution and linked tables can and do bring down entire databases - especially when queries join local tables to DBMS tables.  You need to create procs as much as possible and make an Access project if you HAVE to keep the Access front end.  If not, get onto a true development tool, like Visual Studio.net and take advantage of ADO.net as well.  Regardless of what front-end you have, using procs makes all the difference in the world.

• OK Thanks, I can give this advice to our customer.

We deliver support for a company where dumb users develop bussiness critical applications in Access.

And when the problems arrise, we have to solve them.

Great deal isn't it.

Regards

• As an alternative, you can use pass-through queries in Access.

• You have my sympathy.  Pass-throughs are a good option, but you have to write them in T-SQL.  If you're users are dumb, they won't be able to do that.  I've had people write the query as a select-type, switch to SQL view then copy/paste that into a pass-through (which defaults and restricts to SQL view).  If they don't update from 97, they can't use the project function that was added to 2000.  If they are doing reporting, consider asking them to use Crystal and create some views for them based on what they are doing most frequently.  This approach has helped us tremendously and Crystal is fairly common in the workplace.

• Haa haa haa!!!!

Sorry....

Signature is NULL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply