PolyServe replacement options

• Thanks Tammy. Tell me about bad experience with HP....I worked with them for 3 years. Easily the worst part of my professional life. At no point did it hint that "people are its assets" and it shows in their products and services.

Paresh Motiwala Manager of Data Team, Big Data Enthusiast, ex DBA

• pareshmotiwala (8/2/2011)

I had heard from an HP employee(actually some sales guy) that the Polyserve is being retired....anybody know for sure? their website doesn't say much..

Thats correct same here sales could confirm they are not continueing polyserve. And support will end when SQL 2008 will go out of support irc. And they dont gonna patch polyserve for R2 of SQL 2008 because then they also need to support polyserve longer

• Melio 3.5 is a good replacement option for Polyserve. More information at

• Thanks San-Man...

Paresh Motiwala Manager of Data Team, Big Data Enthusiast, ex DBA

• Check out DxConsole. Its a plug-replacement for PolyServe SQL

• So Don did you and OJ bought the IP on Polyserve and spin it to DH2i?

This appears to be Polyserve re-incarnated, almost feature-for-feature, and aren't you the same guy that worked at HP?

http://www.dh2i.com/index.php/about-dh2i

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/don-boxley-jr/38/829/7a6

And OJ was a Polyserve engineer both with Polyserve and HP if he is the same guy :

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ojngo

And this article on HP's website is quoting you as part of the Polyserve team if you are that guy?

http://h20223.www2.hp.com/enterprise/us/en/messaging/tye-consolidating-SQL-Server-infrastructure.html

So if this is indeed updated and repackaged Polyserve, will HP let us transfer our support licenses to avoid losing our investment?

Just interested in clear disclosure rather than marketecture nonsense, we've had enough of HP blowing smoke up our collective ****s.

IF this is Polyserve reborn, get the community of users involved to get the continuity in place, rather than trying to distance yourself from its roots.

• Sleak Bug

Yes OJ and I are former HP PolyServe team members. I was the senior Product Marketing Manager for PolyServe and OJ was the Chief Software Architect for PolyServe SQL. What you're using he wrote.

No we did not buy PolyServe IP from HP. We tried, but HP backed out of the deal at the last minute. So we decided to do our own.

DxConsole is a 2nd generation PolyServe-like solution. It a brand-new "clean-room" design (i.e new IP stack). A complete re-write. Its the PolyServe that HP never let us develop:

- SQL Server 11 (beta) support

- SQL Server 2008R2 support

- VSS/snaphot support

- Auto-load balancing

We've been working very hard on it and its just about ready to ship. We've design DxConsole so that an existing PolyServe user can upgrade to DxConsole just like upgrading from PolyServe 3.6.2 to 4.x.

I can't speak for HP, but any current PolyServe user that wants to move to DxConsole (and every user should :-)), we have a very attractive upgrade offer to preserve their investment.

This is not smoke and mirrors. Get the word out...

• don, any options for replacing the Polyserve aliasing tool only. Example an aliasing appliance on the front end of a Microsoft SQL server Cluster. Thanks

• that is a fantastic idea!

• I don't think we'd be able to persuade management to go for another 3rd party clustering solution after the Polyserve fiasco!

We've decided to swap it out for Windows 2008 R2 clusters with a majority node and fileshare config.

Cheers

Vultar

• I completely understand. Sometimes these things come down to what is possible to achieve. MSCS is a solid solution.

If you have any additional questions, just let us know how we can help. 🙂

dbox

• Poly is going away, no doubt. As it might be useful for SQL, it also useful as a highly structured file / print clustering service.

Never really had any great talent behind the support, besides the original Poly Serve folks. Can't recall some of the peeps names, but I've talked in length with with several of the original developers. I'm also a Expert-One with HP, and can tell you, Poly was out the door was planned from day one. Face it, HP will purchase good companies and get the source and TRY to integrate in another appliance. XP (Hitachi), 3Par, etc, etc, etc. Their support is horrible, especially when they purchase people. It's the old right hand vs left hand sceanrio, always has been, always will be. 😉

Back to Poly.. Make sure you have a solid PAN setup that can utilize MultiCast, and make sure you make some adjustments to flow control. Work with a company that has over 160 PSD / x PSV's.

Poly had some very good potential, HP just squashed it.

• What happend to John? I think? Brit guy? he was fun to talk to.

• I am on 3.6 currently and was able to get SQLServer2008r2 running by doing a manual install on each node...

I'm working through the upgrade to 4.1 currently and the only issue so far has been for Dell servers; you must install PolyServe before any MPIO software or it does not install correctly. I am assuming that the SQL2008R2 will be the same process, manual install and patch, then virtualize...:-)

I will also be evaluating other HA solutions going forward...it is to bad that HP took a good product and didn't follow through.

Trevor Hampson
    DBA

• Does anybody know anything about Sanbolic's Melio Enterprise AppCluster add-on?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply