Point/Counterpoint-Certifications

• I hold MCDBA, MCSE and MCSA, in SQL Server 2000 and Windows 2000 respectively, but my current job uses very little of the knowledge I gained in attaining these certifications.

Having had several job interviews over the last 12 months, I would suggest that the main benefit of being certified is to assist in getting to the interview stage. However, I have found that once you are at the interview, the focus, quite rightly is on relevent experience. Certification may be mentioned during the interview but most of the time is spent answering technical questions to establish the scope of experience which is appropriate to the job being applied for.

I was interviewed last week for a new job, and this morning I have been notified that my application was unsuccessful. I am told that the reason I did not get the job is that two other candidates had more appropriate experience in the company's current environment.

Certification proves an ability to take in information, and can help to get the interview, but relevent experience is what really counts in getting the job you want.

• A common theme I've noticed in many of the replies is that a lot of us struggle to be able to find the time to get certified, and the question for each of us basically is will getting certified be the best use of my time.

However my biggest frustration with certification comes from those who I've had to work with that ignore thier work responsibilities to get certified. Doing the bare minimum to keep thier jobs and often using inappropriate technology to solve a problem so they can play around with it. Their avoidance of work to study tends to mean they have little practical experience and you're actually scared to let them touch anything.

The end result is that they put the certification and the fact they "worked" in thier current position on their cv, and thankfully they then negotiate a higher salary elsewhere and become someone elses problem.

I'm very dubious of anyone who is certified beyond their level of experience would suggest.

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply