Point in Time Restore from only Full Backup

• We take a Daily Full Backup, a Differential Backup every 4 hours, and Log backups every minute.

We retain Full and Diff Backups for 1 week, and Log backups for 24 hours.

I understand that to do a point in time restore for today, I'd restore the Last Full Backup, the latest Diff Backup, then each Log Backup in order up to the required point in time.

However, if I want to do a point in time to some point yesterday, can I do that without any Log backups?  Can I restore to any point in time with just a Full Backups or do I need to increase my Log Backup retention to match my Full backups to facilitate point in time restore for any time in the last 7 days?

Any time I search for point in time restore information, every article talks about Log backups and I can't get a straight answer.   Is a full backup and all or nothing kind of deal or can it be replayed as per with Log Backups?

• If you no longer have your log backups, you can only restore to a full or differential backup.  Point-in-time restores are only possible with log backups.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 wrote:

If you no longer have your log backups, you can only restore to a full or differential backup.  Point-in-time restores are only possible with log backups.

John

Thanks John, appreciate the speedy response.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply