Point-in-time restore

• Yes, it's very frustrating trying to study for the exams when the study guides are wrought with errors and contradictions. I wish those things were peer reviewed. However, these SSC QOTD, along with the peer discussions, keeps me on my toes 🙂

• Great question, covering this type of information is very valuable. thanks!

• Patrick2525 (2/16/2011)

Yes, it's very frustrating trying to study for the exams when the study guides are wrought with errors and contradictions. I wish those things were peer reviewed. However, these SSC QOTD, along with the peer discussions, keeps me on my toes 🙂

I must warn you though - it can become addictive. I've been slowly working my way through all the previous questions from the beginning. I've only got a few hundred more to go...

Yes, it's very frustrating trying to study for the exams when the study guides are wrought with errors and contradictions. I wish those things were peer reviewed. However, these SSC QOTD, along with the peer discussions, keeps me on my toes 🙂

True Story: The exam questions are filled with contradictions and odd errors also. They are peer reviewed (no really) a lot like these questions are. We would sometimes agree to leave in a "bad" question. One or two individuals would bother or Flame the rest of the panel until frustration, instead of logic, made the decision. That is why I have always recomended the use of "study guides" to anyone taking the certification tests.

:smooooth:

IMHO: The best ones out there are Troy...

• Thanks for the super easy question and the Super easy two points!

• Nice question.

Thanks

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SanDroidTrue Story: The exam questions are filled with contradictions and odd errors also. They are peer reviewed (no really) a lot like these questions are. We would sometimes agree to leave in a "bad" question. One or two individuals would bother or Flame the rest of the panel until frustration, instead of logic, made the decision. That is why I have always recomended the use of "study guides" to anyone taking the certification tests.

You lost me... so the exams also have lots errors, so you recommend the 'study guides' so that test-takers will know the correct incorrect answer? IOW... even though I know the correct answer, I should submit the wrong answer because that's what I know (from study guide) the exam expects as correct answer? :unsure:

IMHO: The best ones out there are Troy...

Is Troy a publisher?? I'm not seeing anything regarding 70-432/3 exams on Amazon from them.

• Good question.

IOW... even though I know the correct answer, I should submit the wrong answer because that's what I know (from study guide) the exam expects as correct answer? :unsure:

Unfortunately that is exactly what I am saying.

I do not know if the A+ exam is still like this, but it used to have the voltages for Red and Yellow wires reversed on 3 of the questions. It was right on the other ones.

Troy exam crams are not on Amazon.

Most of the ones worth your money are not.

• I call shenanigans. How can the answer not be no? If a database is set to Bulk-Logged recovery model that means some transactions are minimally logged. That would mean the complete transaction would not exist in the database log file, how can you restore to that when SQL cannot rebuild the whole transaction?

My reference points:

BoL: Recovery Model Overview

SSC article: Restoring to a Point In Time[/url]

MSSQLTips.com: SQL Server point in time recovery (article ID 1229)

TechNet: Recovering to a Specific Point in Time

SQL University: Backups and Restores – Recovery Models

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Duncan Pryde (2/16/2011)

Although I haven't done that exam myself as I upgraded directly from 2005 to 2008 MCITP, most of the Admin exams I've done have contained a fair amount of backup and recovery questions, so it does pay to know your stuff.

Duncan

This would be NDA violation sharing this information would it not?...just FYI.

Shawn Melton

Most publishers put an errata page on their site that ties to the book title. O'Reilly (which controls Microsoft Press book titles now) do this. If you check the site for your book it should list exact pages of information that was found to be incorrect after publishing.

Shawn Melton

• Shawn Melton (2/16/2011)

Duncan Pryde (2/16/2011)

Although I haven't done that exam myself as I upgraded directly from 2005 to 2008 MCITP, most of the Admin exams I've done have contained a fair amount of backup and recovery questions, so it does pay to know your stuff.

Duncan

This would be NDA violation sharing this information would it not?...just FYI.

Hmmm, you could derive that information also from looking at the "Skills Measured" section at the Microsoft Certification Website, as it contains relative percentages.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Well, thanks for the clarification. I was studying for the MCTS exam using 'The Real MCTS SQL Server 2008 Exam 70-432 Prep Kit: Database Implementation and Maintenance' by Mark Horninger (2009) which stated it clear as mud:

The Bulk-Logged recovery model is similar to Full recovery model, except that nonlogged operations are performed as nonlogged. This provides a performance advantage for Bulk-Logged operations. However, if a Bulk-Logged operation has occurred since the last full backup, you will not be able to recover any changes made since the last full backup. The Bulk-Logged recovery model does not support point-in-time recovery.

I think that line is poorly written, so it can be interpreted incorrectly.

I think the author meant that if a bulk-logged operation has occurred, you can't do point-in-time recovery.

• Shawn Melton (2/16/2011)

I call shenanigans. How can the answer not be no? If a database is set to Bulk-Logged recovery model that means some transactions are minimally logged. That would mean the complete transaction would not exist in the database log file, how can you restore to that when SQL cannot rebuild the whole transaction?

The correct answer stated that you could restore to a point in time if there were no bulk-logged changes.

BOL however contradicts itself. In one page they say it isn't possible, on another they say it can be done if no bulk logged operations have occurred.

Even the references that you gave contradict themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply