Point in time restore.

• Can you do a point-in-time restore if the time is between the last Tlog backup and the next full backup after the full has been taken.

Example:

Tlog backups run every three from 10:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. the next day. The full backup runs at 7:00 p.m. Can I perform a point-in-time restore say for 5:37 p.m. if the request occurs after 7:00 p.m. Say a process ran with an errant delete.

Carl Davis

• Yes.  If the tran log has not been backed up since before the desired point-in-time, back up the tran log.  Then restore yesterday's full backup and its previous tran log backup and all subsequent tran log backups until the one covering the point-in-time WITH NORECOVERY.  Then restore the next tran log backup WITH STOPAT.

--Jonathan

• Even if I've run a full backup already. I can skip the full and use a subsequent tlog backup?

Carl Davis

• Yes.  Full (and differential) backups are independent of the chain of tran log backups.

--Jonathan

• Thanks. I've done point-in-time backups but just got thinking about this issue and wasn't sure.

Carl Davis

• What makes the Transaction Log (TL) backups really 'cool' is that if you do:

FULL BU

TL BU

TL BU

FULL BU

TL BU

and your second FULL BU is corrupt, whatever all is not lost. You can restore the first FULL BU and all the TL BUs and it's the same as restoring the second FULL BU and the last TL BU.

-SQLBill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply