Plotting data points on a map layer from a 2005 source db

• Is it possible to somehow pass a value to the dataset on a 2008 R2 reportserver that will plot a datapoint in a map layer, when the source of my latitude/longitude values is in a 2005 db? I can't just write the query to use the geography::Point() method, because it parses it before it lets me build the report (unless you know how to disable that 😉 )

Currently the application we use in production is on 2005, and I am HOPING that the upgrade next year will bring us to 2008 where we can access the spatial datatypes.

Didn't know if anyone ran across this issue and found a workaround?

thanks,

Jon

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• It is a long shot, but is there a 2008R2 SQL Server instance installed on your ReportServer for the SSRS-db's?

If so, you could consider creating a linked server on that instance to your 2005 database instance. I think you then can find a way to use the geography datatypes you need for the maps.

If that's not possible, maybe you can use a "calculated field" in your report dataset to do the conversion, or maybe use some code behind.

I figure that the "linked server" option might be the easiest solution, but there might be some security issues to solve.

Peter Rijs
    BI Consultant, The Netherlands

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply