Please Help, has no one done this before???

• Currently, I have a job that runs like this:

1. Truncate table <tablename>

2. Drop Index/Indices

3. DTS Run (which is a straight copy of the table into SQL

The problem is, this was written over two years ago (not by me) and it worked fine. However, today the table has approx. 50 million rows and I think you know where I'm going with this. Not efficient.

Rather than truncate the table I would prefer to append the data. I have a binary file on the Oracle server (and an app which reads it) which keeps track of changes to the records, deletes, updates and inserts. Is there someway I can create a package that reads this file and determines what records need to be loaded?

Thanks

Aurora

• Should be possible.

You should be able to create the logic for reading the binary file from an ActiveX task.

Insert the record ids (primary keys) inside a staging table and 'synchronise' everything using that staging table.

• Great, but although I have written a few ActiveX task before, its never been to read a Binary file. Any advice or resources I can turn to for assistance?

Thanks again,

Christine

Aurora

• Try searching at http://www.msdn.microsoft.com for "file system object"...also might try running the same search on Google. Also maybe try searching this site for 'binary file'. There is lots of good info out there...

hth,

Michael

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss

• Oops. Apparently there is no easy way to read a binary file using VBScripting. Maybe using JScript it gets easier?

An alternative solution could be to write your own object to read the file.

Can you use the BULK INSERT or BCP to copy in the data? This might be possible using the NATIVE types...

• I could certainly use either of those options, but still unsure how to tackle reading the binary file.

Ideas?

Aurora

• Can you give the format of the file? Maybe upload a small sample, and I will try to do some testing...

• Also have a look at http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx

• The binary file I speak of is simply the Oracle log. Is there anyway to read this so I can determine which records need to be loaded. Does anyone currently "append" new data to a SQL server dB table from an Oracle dB table?

Thanks

Aurora

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply