Please add a custom 404 page in maintenance mode

• While I realise that SQLServerCentral has to go down for maintenance on occasion, I find it slightly irritating that there's no custom 404 page when this happens. There is a 'home' page which says it's down for maintenance, but since I, and I suspect most people, connect to SQLserverCentral by clicking on a link in the newsletter (like 'http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/374267/30614'), it's not helpful to just get the default Microsoft 404 page. A more useful action would be to redirect to the same 'system down for maintenance' report, hopefully with a better indication of when it will be back than the present 'back soon'.

Derek

• When did this occur? There should not have been downtime?

• Apologies. Just heard that two of the databases (4 exists between this site and Database Weekly) were moved to a new array to balance the load today.

The home page was set to our maintenance page, but not the 404. This has been changed for the future.

• Thanks Steve.

For info, it was down at about 9:30am GMT (UK) Monday morning. Not sure what time this corresponds to wherever the server is (since it could be almost anywhere!).

Derek

• Confirmed. Can't remember what the message was, but it suggested that something had changed in our firewall!

Funny thing is, each of the three forums (fora?) I spend most time on at present were all down at some time around last weekend. Still trying to figure out the link between SQL Server and English longbows. Now if SSC had been hosted the other side of the Channel rather than the other side of the pond...

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I believe that the physical servers are near London somewhere.

We're trying to be more cognizant of downtime and the entire site should be covered by the maintenance page now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply