Placing a Development Database on the same SQL Server instance as the Production database

• Thanks, Ed. I appreciate the additional thoughts.

• Meet George Jetson (6/25/2013)

It is with Express that your client will run into the 180 licensing limitation unless they purchase a fully licensed copy.

Express is not time limited, Evaluation is time limited. Express is free and you accept some limitations but one of those limitations is not time.

CEWII

• Meet George Jetson (6/25/2013)

I was able, finally, to get the client's IT to install SS 2008 R2 Express,

SQL Server 2008 R2 Express is NOT the same thing as SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer. It is with Express that your client will run into the 180 licensing limitation unless they purchase a fully licensed copy.

Express is not time-limited. It's size-limited. Max 10GB per database, restricted to a single CPU core and 1GB of memory and with many, many unavailable features.

Personally I wouldn't consider developing on Express if production is Enterprise or over 10GB in size, too many things won't be available, it'll also be near-impossible to do sensible performance testing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/25/2013)

Express is not time-limited. It's size-limited. Max 10GB per database, restricted to a single CPU core and 1GB of memory and with many, many unavailable features.

Personally I wouldn't consider developing on Express if production is Enterprise or over 10GB in size, too many things won't be available, it'll also be near-impossible to do sensible performance testing.

+1

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply