Performance Tuning Question?

• What are best steps to take to performance tune sql server?

• hardware ?

SQL instance configuration ?

T-SQL code ?

Table design and 3NF?

you have to give us a little more about your problem so that someone can help you - I could go on for about 6 months about all of the issues you will encounter

MVDBA

• in my experience, most performance problems come from coding that works, but performs poorly on large data sets.

as a result, i look at the code, here are some of the things I look at for issues:

• Joins are Sarg-able, meaning all data types match, no functions on columns, no implicit conversions

• WHERE is Sarg-able, meaning all data types exactly match on both sides of the equals, no functions on columns, no implicit conversions

• @Parameter datatypes and sizes exactly match the size of columns they are used against

• Replace @TableVariables with #Temp tables to leverage statistics, unless the @TableVariable has less than 100 rows in every situation.

• multiple CTEs or cascading CTEs should be replaced with #Temp tables to divide and conquer for better performance

• anything that uses a VIEW or multiple views needs to be replaced with the underlying tables instead to eliminate duplicate or extra tables

• convert any scalar functions to inline table value functions

• Because FOR XML concatenation is early, any concatenation statements must come froma  temp table and not the source, as the WHERE statements are applied after FOR XML is performed.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  Lowell. Reason: added FOR XML hint

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply