performance problem

• Can anyone please let me know if by running backup jobs does a server get impacted in terms of performance. any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

• The biggest impact that you'll see will be on disk, make sure that you backup (if backing up to disk) to a different physical drive than the logfiles.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Locks are another issue if the system is highly transactional you want to take transaction log snapshots during the day and diffs or fulls at night. The drive performance will suffer as the backup reads but if possible seperate the backup location from the logs and the datafiles.

============================
    Richard S. Hale
    Senior Database Marketing Developer
    Business Intelligence
    The Scooter Store
    RHale@TheScooterStore.com
    DSK: 830.627.4493

• Much less performance impact than in any previous version of SQL Server. 

For me, I think the biggest impact is simply competition for I/O bandwidth.  I never see any blocking due to the backup but if I run a full DB backup at time of peak OLTP activity everything gets a bit slower & I'm more likely to experience problems that are usually masked by fast-running system (like deadlocks). 

If we need to run a big ad-hoc backup in middle of the day I'll do it now w/out hesitation--years ago I'd have waited until nighttime & informed all the users that they might experience poor performance, etc.

Probably have to see for yourself.

• I agreed with most above. Backup is more I/O intensive,if you can separate I/O channel with your DB, you should be fine. Some 3rd party solution may increase CPU utilization. I do notice, when backup and re-index running at the same cause huge delay on the backup.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply