Performance Problem????

• Now i m using MS SQL 7.0 I don't know how to configure Server, Database to get the better performance. In my case, the balk data will be inserts per 3 months. At that time, there will be much transaction occur. So, is it needed to configure Database for performance? Also, customer want 24 hr/day 7days/week service availability.

Another thing is that is it a good idea to make all DML statement into stored procedures?

• Hey,

Wow, thats a pretty immense question

As for configuring your server, the standard SQL configuration on installation will suit a lot of needs.  From your brief overview of system use, SQL Server should be able to cope with the load with no problems assuming the database design, indexing, stored procedures etc are well designed.

It's a little hard to suggest configuration changes unless you have a specific problem!

So, my question to you, is are you suffering from performance issues?  If so, could you post information about those?

24/7 is not a rare thing!  We have to maintain 24/7 with the obvious outages for code changes, maintenance etc.

And finally, yes, enclose all of your queries within stored procedures.  It is far more efficient for DML to be in stored procedures rather than having DML in your application code.

• thx Clive.

Because i don't know the data load. And i want MS SQL perform well. But, i do know the transactions will huge.

Sorry for that. There is another question. Can i grand all the privilege to a user for a database by using command? Because i can't configure in customer site and i just have to provide the sql script.

thx,

• "balk data will be inserts per 3 months"...

I'm still trying to understand the question... are you concerned with bulk insert performance?

bcp and the BULK INSERT command are very fast.  Try them and see if the performance is acceptable first.  These operations will slow down if you have a lot indexes and FK's defined. 

Here are some bulk copy tips....

http://www.mssqlcity.com/Tips/bulk_copy_optimization.htm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply