Performance of left outer join

• I'm looking for a general answer.  In my experience, the performance of inserting data into a table from the results of a LEFT OUTER JOIN query is significantly worse than running two queries - one to populate the destination table followed by update of the destination table using INNER JOIN.   I thought SQL Server was smarter and could handle that.  A sample of the left outer join and inner join/update is below, and the problem is significant when the table sizes are large:

create table #TempTable_LeftJoin (
    ID int,
    Value1 int,
    Value2 int,
    primary key clustered ( ID )
    );
    create table #TempTable_InnerJoin_Update (
    ID int,
    Value1 int,
    Value2 int,
    );
    create table #MyTable1 (
    ID int,
    Value int,
    );
    create table #MyTable2 (
    ID int,
    Value int,
    );

-- Left outer join
    insert #TempTable_LeftJoin ( ID, Value1, Value2 )
    select
    ID = T1.ID,
    Value1 = T1.Value,
    Value2 = T2.Value
    from
    #MyTable1 T1
    left outer join #MyTable2 T2 on
    T2.ID = T1.ID;

-- Insert with inner join update
    insert #TempTable_InnerJoin_Update ( ID, Value1 )
    select
    ID = T1.ID,
    Value1 = T1.Value
    from #MyTable1 T1

update #TempTable_InnerJoin_Update
    set Value2 = T2.Value
    from
    #TempTable_InnerJoin_Update TT
    inner join #MyTable2 T2 on
    T2.ID = TT.ID;
  • A general answer to what? You haven't asked a question.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• The performance is going to be based on the query performance - and that will be dependent on the indexes available and how the query is written.

I would not say that an insert/update is 'generally' faster...in fact I would probably lean the other way and say that a single insert will be faster than 2 separate operations across the full table.

But - it really depends on the tables, the indexes available - the execution plan generated for each as well as the number of rows affected in each operation.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I'd need to see more specifics around this. There's nothing magically or uniquely bad or dangerous about a LEFT JOIN when manipulating data, so there's got to be more to the issue here.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply