Performance issue

• hi all,

I have 10Gb DB.

From past 2-3months my DB slows down due to high transaction.I have added new filegroup and moved some table in it using cluster index.

I also add one log file to Database..

I want to conform whether this will help me in improvment or not?

Can any one help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Neerav

• Nero (7/6/2009)

hi all,

I have 10Gb DB.

From past 2-3months my DB slows down due to high transaction.I have added new filegroup and moved some table in it using cluster index.

I also add one log file to Database..

I want to conform whether this will help me in improvment or not?

Can any one help me with this issue?

Thanks,

Neerav

I hope you added the filegroup on a different physical hard drive. If the performance is due to slower hard drive, placing sizeable portion of a database on a different spindle should help improve performance.

Also more number of log files do not contribute towards better performance.

Are you sure, disk is the cause of poor performance?

Pradeep Singh

• The log file won't help at all and you're better off removing the second log file.

The second filegroup may help if the server was IO bottlenecked and if the new filegroup is on a different physical drive. Usually one looks at this after looking for and fixing poorly performing queries.

See these articles for an intro to finding poorly performing queries

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • What caused performance issue in SQL server?

• esayasas (10/26/2016)

What caused performance issue in SQL server?

This thread is over seven years old, and the original poster hasn't logged in in almost seven years. At this point, it is highly unlikely that you will get an answer to this question.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply