Performance Issue

• Hi,

I have 3 drives (c,d,e) having 8 GB hard disk space(including all drives). I'm planning to create a database placing data file in d: drive and log in e:\. Could anyone tell me whether it is okay? Or change the data file in c:\ where SQL Installed? how much performance will be in this scenario?

Thank you.

Balaji

• The best practice is LOG and DATA files different drives and NOT on C:\

Andy.

• Agree. You'd ideally separate OS, pagefile, data, log, and tempdb. If you can't, then separate put OS and pagefile together. IF you still can't do that, put tempdb with data , but separating data and log, as mentioned above, is the best thing to do.

• I haven't heard anything about RAID.  If you have 8GB of space on one disk that is partitioned into 3 drive letters, moving files wont do any bit of good.  The files will still use the same disk heads.  If you have multiple drives, then yes, separating your files would be good so that you get better performance.  If you are not using RAID, then you will not have redundancy and if a drive goes bad (corrupt), then you will lose something.  If you do have RAID, then put the pagefile and Transaction Log file on the RAID 1 or RAID 10 partitions.  If you have RAID 5, then you can increase performance of your system by moving the Transaction Log files to a RAID 1 or 10 partition.  RAID 5 is slow to write too.  For every write operation it is at least 4 I/O operations.  One I/O to read the parity, one I/O to read the block, one I/O to write the block, then one I/O to write the parity.  That is a lot of work for a write operation. 

G

• it is best to make Bakup of all system DB and user DB on another Hard Disk .. so if this Harddisk crashed .. you can get it back from the backup ..

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply