Performance Counters

• hi!

I am monitoring the peak times on our sql server system. I set up a performance counter log to monitor raid 5 for an hour and all the values are similar to the values below:

Physical Disk %Disk Time: 220.9801458

Physical Disk %Avg Disk Queue Length:

Do I need to divide the disk time and the disk queue length by 5 to get the numbers for each disk in the array ?

Do I consider the above values very high since %Disk Time > 90 and disk queue > 2

thanks in advance

• Within your operating system you cannot see your physical drives individually.

Your RAID5 disk are consideres as a whole for it. Therefore you do not have to divide your values by 5.

Bye

Gabor

Bye
    Gabor

• quote:

Do I consider the above values very high since ... disk queue > 2

As for disk queue, the value is high when it is higher then 2 x [number of phisical disks in array]

• If you are using hardware raid you should take the total number of disks into account when looking at those numbers.

Also note that 'Queue lenght' and '% disk time' are exactly the same figures: 100% busy and a queue lenght of 1, mean that at the time permon sampled the disk was busy servicing an I/O without requests waiting.

A number of 2 or 200% thus means one servicing and one waiting if you have 1 disk in your hardware raidset.

If you have 5 disks in this set it means that 3 are doing nothing.

If this is software raid (does anybody still use this??), then the above will be the case: then you are looking at one disk with one I/O busy and 1 waiting.

Note that these counters are snapshots, so it's not an average between two intervals..

This doesn't mean that a constantly high disk queue is not a problem though.

(indeed the value of 2 per disk is used: when having a raid set of 5 disks a value of 10 or less is acceptable ,a constantly higher value *can* be a (a sign of a) problem

What I think is more important are the average read and write times. If they are up significantly you are in trouble..I'm not happy with I/O avgs of >10ms per I/O..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply