Performance and Wait Types

• Guys,

I was trying track wait types which are causing blocks and eventually timeouts, I found the possible wait types. The wait type that was causing timeouts in LCK_M_S.

The listed below are lock wait types, are there implications of Latch Wait types on the performance.

DO you guys know what are the implications of each wait types and which wait type needs to be monitored.

Any suggeestions/inputs would help.

LCK_M_SCH_S

LCK_M_SCH_M

LCK_M_S0x03

LCK_M_U0x04

LCK_M_X0x05

LCK_M_IS

LCK_M_IU

LCK_M_IX

LCK_M_SIU

LCK_M_SIX

LCK_M_UIX

LCK_M_BU

LCK_M_RS_S

LCK_M_RS_U

LCK_M_RI_NL

LCK_M_RI_S

LCK_M_RI_U

LCK_M_RI_X

LCK_M_RX_S

LCK_M_RX_U

LCK_M_RX_X

Thanks

• there is a nice article on books online here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190615.aspx that might help you sorting it out

• Hi

Hmmm waittypes and queue's very important to understand and if you do then it is a great performance tuning factor ..

Looking at your list of waittypes it is relatively unclear what is happening...to look at waittype issues we need to see more info ..but what I have seens is

LCK_M_S 0x03

LCK_M_U 0x04

LCK_M_X 0x05

Lck_MS_S is a shared lock

Lck_M_U is a update lock

Lck_M_X is a exclusive lock

You will need to look at the waittimes for these waittypes and waitresorces to point out problems ....looking at the other waittypes it seems that an update statement is causing your issue

what I suggest you do is use PSSDIAG and enable the blocker stuff , download a tool by the name of sherlock and analyse it ..

For sql 2005 you can enable the blocker process in sp_configure

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1 ;

GO

RECONFIGURE ;

GO

sp_configure 'blocked process threshold', 20 ;

GO

RECONFIGURE ;

GO

set the threshold to 5 seconds ...will give you enough info

The start a profiler trace

Under the

errors and warning eventclass select blcoker process report

locks

Locks timeout > 0

also in the same breath check for long running queries and CPU intensive queries...also never forget to do perfmon it is vital that is why I am suggesting PSSDIAG ..you can download it from microsoft or 20005 has in build-in pssdiag.exe .....

Good article to read for waittypes:

ww.sqlskills.com ...go to white papers and look for Performance_Tuning_Waits_Queues.doc

Also look for SQL Server 2000 Wait Types on the net

• Thanks CoetzeeW - I will play tool to know more.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply