PDF Caching Problems

• Is anyone else having problems with the PDF export caching?

This is happening on all servers, different IE browsers from 5.5 to the latest, and Acrobat Reader 5 through to the latest, also whether we access the report via the report manager or direct through a hyperlink using rs:Format=PDF.

When the report is called on-screen in HTML, it is retrieving the current data and displaying it fine.  The problem starts when we try to export to PDF.  What will happen appears to be random and is as follows:

1) We get a Save/Open dialog - when this happens and we open the PDF, we get an up to date copy.

or

2) The document appears immediately using acrobat either in the current browser window, or opens a new browser window.  This time it doesn't ask us to Open/Save.  This document, however, appears to be a cached copy of the previous one looked at. We know this because we have changed the back end data and even changed titles on the reports.  When they render to screen the changes can be seen, but as soon as it's exported, it is displaying the previous data and changes.

We have configured the browser to use the lowest cache available (1mb) and told IE to reload on every visit to a page.  This is happening even if we close the browser down and reload it.

If we then delete the files from the temporary internet cache, then it will redeliver the new PDF.

The reports are told not to cache within the Reporting Services.

We have evaluated this product for 2 weeks to replace Crystal Reports and have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it will do everything we need and more, but if we can't overcome this stumbling block, we are going to have to abandon it.

If anyone has encountered this or has any suggestions as how to solve it, they would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I've just started testing with it and haven't noticed that problem yet, but my PDFS are all one full page, one blank page, one full page, one blank page...

Have you seen that?

• The problem of blank pages is down to layout.  this took me some time to work out myself.  The report is somehow going beyond the width of an A4 page, even though it doesn't appear to do so on the design form.  Watch your page margins, positions and widths of fields.  I had to drag all the fields to the left and shrink them down until the problem went away, and then slowly move and grow them back until it re-appeared, then knock them back one step again.

Time consuming I know, and infuriating on complex reports.

• Thanks for the reply.  I will give that a shot.  I wonder if they are planning on fixing it.  That is going to be a huge nightmare.

• Rayven,  are you going through any kind of Proxy server that may be caching the PDF?

I had the other problem with blank pages sort of.  I had 3 subreports on a report,  each set to start with a new page.  The first one came out fine, then I got the second subreport, then I got the page header for the second subreport on its own page AFTER the data, and the 3rd subreport was fine.  I probably should have used data regions, but the users may wan tot see each one of the 3 reports stand alone so I did it with subreports.  As Rayven said I played with sizing and page breaks until it looked right.  

• This is in addition to my last post.  I participated in a Web seminar on RS by SQL Server Magazine last week and they demonstarted creating a standard report template that you then could use to give all your reports a consistent look, including header, footer, and margins.  All you do is create a report without a data source and set up margins and whatever you always include (logo's, etcc..).  Save the report and copy it to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Report Designer\ProjectItems\ReportProject.  This may help for the dat, blank, data problem

• Many thanks for pointing out the obvious that I'd overlooked!

I do this with Visual Basic, creating and templating forms, so why on earth I never thought of doing it for the reports I'll never know.

Many thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply