PBM Alert

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item PBM Alert

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Nice question! Got me researching on Alerts, Roles and Policies before I answered and got it right 🙂

• Am I doing this wrong? (QotD) Even if its a subject I don't know about I try and come up with an answer as its a test of my knowledge. I don't look up the answers beforehand.

Does everyone else treat them like a real life scenario at work where you books online anything you dont know?

• No, not everybody 🙂

But, if you've been following the discussions on some recent questions you'll note that some people take the prospect of a point very seriously.

I think the honourable approach is to try and answer the question straight away then, especially if you get it wrong. read the given reference and learn something.

But that's just me - people are free to approach the scenario as best suits them. Invariably nobody gets hurt.

• Excellent question. Thanks Jason!

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thanks for the question.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Hey, wait a second. According to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510667.aspx

Administering Policy-Based Management requires membership in the PolicyAdministratorRole role in the msdb database. This role has complete control of all policies on the system. This control includes creating and editing policies and conditions and enabling and disabling policies.

So tell me why did I get it wrong?

• Shark Energy (7/22/2011)

Am I doing this wrong? (QotD) Even if its a subject I don't know about I try and come up with an answer as its a test of my knowledge. I don't look up the answers beforehand.

Does everyone else treat them like a real life scenario at work where you books online anything you dont know?

Some consider it cheating to look up answer but I tell interviewers that I know how to get the information if I don't know it off the top of my head.

One can't know everything. The skill to research and find solutions is as valuable as knowing the answer. If I don't know an interview question I always explain how I would find it. In DBI (days before internet) I knew which hard copy manual had the answer. Today, it's about knowing where to look on the WWW. Of course, in an interview, if 80% of your answers are "I'll look it up", you're not qualified for the job. 😉

It's more how you look at these QotD's. I don't consider the points to be of value. I really don't care about them. QotD's are a valuable tool to learn. At least to me.

• cengland0 (7/22/2011)

Hey, wait a second. According to:

Administering Policy-Based Management requires membership in the PolicyAdministratorRole role in the msdb database. This role has complete control of all policies on the system. This control includes creating and editing policies and conditions and enabling and disabling policies.

He mentions testing the alert before pushing to production which indicates an on-demand test. Reading further in the link you'll see

"Alert security:

When policies are evaluated on demand, they execute in the security context of the user. To write to the error log, the user must have ALTER TRACE permissions or be a member of the sysadmin fixed server role. Policies that are evaluated by a user that has less privileges will not write to the event log, and will not fire an alert."

Although sysadmin will work, it's not the minimum permission 🙁

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (7/22/2011)

cengland0 (7/22/2011)

Hey, wait a second. According to:

He mentions testing the alert before pushing to production which indicates an on-demand test. Reading further in the link you'll see

"Alert security:

When policies are evaluated on demand, they execute in the security context of the user. To write to the error log, the user must have ALTER TRACE permissions or be a member of the sysadmin fixed server role. Policies that are evaluated by a user that has less privileges will not write to the event log, and will not fire an alert."

Although sysadmin will work, it's not the minimum permission 🙁

Thanks for the great explanation. That means I legitimately missed the question this time. Dang.

• Richard Warr (7/22/2011)

No, not everybody 🙂

But, if you've been following the discussions on some recent questions you'll note that some people take the prospect of a point very seriously.

I think the honourable approach is to try and answer the question straight away then, especially if you get it wrong. read the given reference and learn something.

But that's just me - people are free to approach the scenario as best suits them. Invariably nobody gets hurt.

You might be correct Richard, but since one of the aims of QOTD is to brag about your points (as the email says), then, new joiners like me with infinitesimally small points compared to others would want to climb up the Hall of Fame pretty quickly!

Show some mercy 🙂

• Richard Warr (7/22/2011)

No, not everybody 🙂

My points are important. For me it's

1. Take my best guess as to what the answer is

2. Then try to find the answer and see if I'm correct. If I can't find it quickly enough, I stick with my gut instinct. In this case I was wrong. I suspected it was eitehr ALTER TRACE or must be sysadmin. Because of what policies are about, I went with SA required to test them as I figured that they could be created, but only SA's could actually deploy/test them. I was wrong, I still learned something.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• i was not thinking about the least previlages and selected the sysadmin role. thanks for the good question.

• Nice Question! Thank YOU!!! 😎

I must admit that at first read I was worried. I got that bad question vibe.

Then I read this part "You are able to create the policies."

That is the KEY to the right answer.

If you can create the policies, but the alerts are not firing the only thing that can be missing is the Alter Trace permission.

Have a good weekend! :smooooth:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply