Pattern Matching 101

• I'm new to SQL and having come back from a training course, I'm trying to apply what I learnt against our data for all the course modules:

One of the simple things I looked at was filtering - and I did a very specific search for customers that had an O' in their name following by any character, then it had to be either 1 or 2 vowels, then an R, and then anything else - quite specific, but more of a test to see if I could do it.

So, I've fabricated a test to so what I mean (using the etiquette guide):

[font="Courier New"]--===== If the test table already exists, drop it

IF OBJECT_ID('TempDB..#mytable','U') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #mytable

--===== Create the test table with

CREATE TABLE #mytable

(

ID INT IDENTITY(1,1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED, --Is an IDENTITY column on real table

CustomerName NVARCHAR(30),

)

--===== All Inserts into the IDENTITY column

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #mytable ON

--===== Insert the test data into the test table

INSERT INTO #mytable

(ID, CustomerName)

SELECT '1','O''Hare and Co' UNION ALL

SELECT '2','O''Leary Brothers Ltd' UNION ALL

SELECT '3','O''Flarety and Son' UNION ALL

SELECT '4','O''Brian' UNION ALL

SELECT '5','O''Rourke' UNION ALL

SELECT '6','O''Hara'

--===== Set the identity insert back to normal

SET IDENTITY_INSERT #mytable OFF

--this will find rows 1 & 6

select *

from #mytable as c

where c.CustomerName like 'o''_[aeiou]r%'

go

--this will find rows 2 & 5

select *

from #mytable as c

where c.CustomerName like 'o''_[aeiou][aeiou]r%'

go

--this will find rows 1, 2, 5 & 6

select *

from #mytable as c

where c.CustomerName like 'o''_[aeiou][aeiou]r%' or c.CustomerName like 'o''_[aeiou]r%'

go

[/font]

So the 3rd select is what I was expecting, but is there any way I can condense the where clause?

Thanks.

• I think that's about as concise as you're going to get it. As you'll have noticed, string manipulation isn't one of T-SQL's strengths. If you're going to be doing this sort of thing a lot, you might consider using regular expressions, for which you'd need to write your own CLR (or download one from codeplex or similar).

John

• John Mitchell-245523 (6/3/2016)

I think that's about as concise as you're going to get it. As you'll have noticed, string manipulation isn't one of T-SQL's strengths. If you're going to be doing this sort of thing a lot, you might consider using regular expressions, for which you'd need to write your own CLR (or download one from codeplex or similar).

John

+1.

And for some one new to SQL your code looks neat!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply