Patching Windows Internal Database

• I am currently reviewing what patch levels various instances are at. One that have come across is a Windows Internal Database (WID), version 11.0.2100.0 (SQL Server 2012 RTM), which is being used for WSUS.

I was thinking about bringing this up to SP 2. I had thought that WID was patched as part of the operating system, not with the SQL Server Service Pack installer. But I have been Googling it, and I cannot find any references to say one way or the other how it is serviced. Does anyone know if WID is upgraded using the standard Service Pack? Or is there some WSUS magic? (I don't have a test server to try it out on at the moment, sorry.) Thanks for any advice.

• I came across this comment today by HarshDeep_Singh at the foot of http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqljourney/archive/2012/04/06/sharepoint-and-the-windows-internal-database-an-interesting-saga.aspx:

Patches for the windows internal database are released by the windows team, and should show up as part of Windows updates. SQL patches cannot be directly applied on windows internal db.

This seems to bear out what I was thinking.

• Many thanks Nice. Your post saved a lot of time for me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply