Password management in SQL MI for Sysadmin account

• Hi,

I've a requirement to provide temporary access for a sysadmin account. Each time a user requires access, temporary password needs to be created for the specific login.

I've heard Password management tools like Cyberark can be used for it. Is there an inbuit tool for SQL MI password management or any open source tool that can be used for this requirement.

to sumup the requirements are:

1) Tool should log the username who is asking for access

2) Change/Create a temporary password for the sysadmin account in SQL MI

Can anyone please help me with this.

• if you have CiberArk then you don't create a new password - just get a block of users added to a group A, add these to a Safe in CyberArk and grant access to those users to USE the account (without allowing them to copy the password) to logon to a PSM CyberArk server with SSMS installed which they can then use to connect to the SQL server instance in question.

Group A would be permanently added to the SQL Instance as sysadmin.

This is what we do on my company (big global one). Everyone, including DBA's, go through CyberArk for privileged access.

Not only access is restricted but it is also fully logged by CyberArk (with video).

but.... if the user is not a DBA I would reconsider the need for sysadmin - majority of tasks anyone needs to do on SQL do not require sysadmin access.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply