Passing ssis variables from one task to the next.

• I am creating an SSIS Package which has a for each loop container. Inside the container are 2 tasks a data flow task and an execute sql task.

The data source for the data flow is a stored procedure (called LoadCorrtran) which has an output parameter called @feedkey nvarchar(10). The value of @feedkey is set as follows:

SELECT @feedkey =

CASE WHEN LEN(MONTH(GETDATE())) = 1 THEN '0' + CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) ELSE CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) END

+ CASE WHEN LEN(DAY(GETDATE())) = 1 THEN '0' + CAST(DAY(GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) ELSE CAST(DAY(GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) END

+ CASE WHEN LEN(DATEPART(hh, GETDATE())) = 1 THEN '0' + CAST(DATEPART(hh, GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) ELSE CAST(DATEPART(hh, GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) END

+ CASE WHEN LEN(DATEPART(mi, GETDATE())) = 1 THEN '0' + CAST(DATEPART(mi, GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) ELSE CAST(DATEPART(mi, GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) END

+ CASE WHEN LEN(DATEPART(ss, GETDATE())) = 1 THEN '0' + CAST(DATEPART(ss, GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) ELSE CAST(DATEPART(ss, GETDATE()) AS NVARCHAR) END

@feedkey becomes one of the columns in the destination table ( called Corrtran) CTFeedKey

@feedkey is mapped to the ssis variable User::parfeedkey as an inputoutput parameter

When the dataflow tasks completes the execute SQL Task begins. The execute SQL task is another stored procedure called CorrFeed. This procedure takes as one of its parameters an input parameter called @feedkey and is also mapped to the ssis variable User::parfeedkey.

The procedure finds the rows just inserted in the dataflow tasks by querying the Corrtran table with the where clause CTFeedkey = @feedkey.

The problem is the value of the variable in the dataflow task is not getting passed to the Execute SQL task correctly....User::parFeedKey is blank when I run the execute sql task...

What am I doing wrong. I tried creating the variable directly as an expression in SSIS then the problem is the value changes from one task to the next

• How exactly did you do this?

> @feedkey is mapped to the ssis variable User::parfeedkey as an inputoutput parameter

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I created a string variable in ssis called parfeedkey. In the dataflow I set the data source to SQL Command "exec LoadCorrtran ?,?" . for Parameters The first comes from the for each loop, the other is the @feedkey which is mapped to the variable user::parfeedkey and the param direction is set to inputoutput.

• paulze2000 (3/23/2015)

I created a string variable in ssis called parfeedkey. In the dataflow I set the data source to SQL Command "exec LoadCorrtran ?,?" . for Parameters The first comes from the for each loop, the other is the @feedkey which is mapped to the variable user::parfeedkey and the param direction is set to inputoutput.

According to this thread, the output parameters doesn't really work:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/d85668b6-2981-4b1c-978d-227483d03bae/stored-procedure-with-result-set-and-output-parameters-in-2005?forum=sqlintegrationservices

To be honest, stored procedures and OLE DB source don't really work well together.

• mmmm do I specifically need to say exec LoadCorrtran ?,? OUTPUT ?

• Adding the word OUTPUT seems have fixed the problem... I noticed the article refers to ssis 2005. Im using ssis 2012....Perhaps that issue was address in subsequent versions

• paulze2000 (3/23/2015)

Adding the word OUTPUT seems have fixed the problem... I noticed the article refers to ssis 2005. Im using ssis 2012....Perhaps that issue was address in subsequent versions

That's good news!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply