Passing a file into an SSIS Package

• Here's the scenario I'd like to have...

User goes to a web page, clicks a Browse button, then an Upload button (the file may be located any where). The file is then used to execute an SSIS package located on the web server.

What I do now is execute SSIS packages against user files by giving passing in a UNC path, but in this scenario I want the user to be able to point to a file anywhere, like their desktop. Does this mean I will need to upload their file to a predetermined location and then execute the SSIS package against the file? Or can I pass the file into SSIS as an Object variable and use it as in file import source within a Data Flow?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

• I believe you'll need to upload the file to a location on the server where the SSIS package would have rights to see. I would suggest uploading the files to the same location for all users (different file names of course) then you can use a Foreach loop in your SSIS package for all files in that location without having to specify a file name. Then, the SSIS package could delete the file when it is finished with it.

• Thanks Jim, sounds good. I'll upload it to the web virtual directory and pull it from the physical location passing in the file path as a variable to the package. Then delete the file when finished.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply