Passed MCTS 70-448..trying to determine which cert for next-seeking advice

• Hi Guys,

This week i obtained my first Microsoft Cert (70-448). I really enjoy working with Microsoft BI tools and also the focused approach the certification process helps you to get new skills .

I want to tackle some other certs to get some new DB related skills. So far i have been mainly exposed to SQL Server

Development & DB administration(2005) and a limited exposure to Microsoft BI(2005&2008).

Should i try getting

1]an Oracle DB development or BI cert

2]focus on getting another Microsoft SQL Server 2008 cert(DB dev or admin)

3] or getting the MCITP for Microsoft BI

My primary goal is to add as many different skills to my profile , and also hopefully to get more work in BI....

Hope that makes sense...!!

• What is your goal, timeframe and budget? Do you want to be a DBA, Data Architect or ETL developer? Do you want to get a promotion within your current job or get a better job outside your company? How much time and money can you invest in developing your skills?

Are you working in a technical position or business analyst position? There are also Project Management certifications that you might want to consider (CAPM and PMP):

http://www.pmi.org/CareerDevelopment/Pages/AboutCredentialsCAPM.aspx

I have SQL Server, Oracle, DB2 and Business Objects BI certifications, but they are all focused on my current position and internal advancement within my company. The worst thing you can do is scatter your time and resources in multiple directions without a clear goal.

• Thanks..i would like to work a lot more the BI domain(Microsoft BI, OBIEE,cognos,business objects etc). My group does not use anything out of the Micorsoft space(they are venturing into using SSAS,SSRS only now)

I do not see myself being in this group/company for very long..hence in the 'marketplace' i would need more diverse skills if i would need look for a job/project etc....that is my thinking

In addition to BI i also feel i am 'limited' in the RDBMS domain as i mainly have only SQL Server experience(admin,dev)... job requirements always want somebody with a little of everything ...

I am basically trying to prioritize which skills i need to add now.

• In my experience, it seems that most companies only care about their specific BI tool and don't factor diversity of skills into their hiring decisions. For example, if they are running Cognos they only want people with Cognos experience and don't care if you know everything about SSRS and Business Objects. However database skills seem to be more transferrable.

I recommend a three-step plan:

1) Sign up for job alerts at Indeed.com and research what skills are listed on the job postings in your area. They will send you daily emails with new job postings based on your key words and this should give you a good understanding of the job market so you can focus your training/certification.

2) Get the Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) certification. It only requires two exams and should cost less than $500 with books, exam fees, Transcender, etc.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=198&p_org_id=&lang=

3) Consider the TDWI Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP) certification. This one is more expensive and requires at least three exams, but should be applicable to most companies.

http://tdwi.org/pages/certification/certified-business-intelligence-professional-cbip.aspx

Good luck and post back here after you get your new BI job to let us know how you did!

• Thanks for the resources & tips. This should keep me busy for some time!!:-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply