Pass Summit 2019 - Housing Question

• So I'm attending Pass for the first time this year and even convinced my boss to add the conference to the yearly budget.  Wooo!

Never been to Seattle but when I picked the Hotel, I chose the Sheraton Grand Seattle due to it's proximity to the conference centre.  This week I went looking to arrange an airport shuttle and realized this hotel doesn't offer one.  Now the only other one available is the Hyatt Olive 8 which is a little further out but not too bad. At least the Hyatt does offer a shuttle to/from the airport.  Now I'm also wondering why these particular hotels are still avalable while the others are sold out.  Does anybody have some past experiences with these hotels they can share?  I'm also looking ahead for future visits as well.

EDIT: I'd also welcome any other tips from a veteran for a first timer.

Thanks,

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Y.B..

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• I started this thread over here for questions like this...

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K wrote:

I started this thread over here for questions like this...

Actually your post is what inspired me to post this topic.  I figured where else could I find people that have likely gone to Pass in the past.  I'm being honest here but I didn't realize the harm in starting another post.  I was going to chime in over on the other one but seeing as that post needed a friendly bump, I wasn't sure if it was going to get any eyeballs.

Congrats on your first talk at Pass!

0 rows returned

• There's no harm in having another post on a similar subject.  It  can become a bit tedious to have to wade through similar questions and responses on a single thread and maybe not find what you're looking for, so no worries there.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• don't worry about shuttles. You can take the train from the airport to downtown in the middle of all hotels. Easy to walk from there. Or super shuttle or Uber, but the train is the easiest and cheapest.

Sheraton is nice, have stayed at the Homewood Suites, Hilton, Crown, and Renaissance. All are fine, they're hotels. No idea about the Hyatt, but I'd suspect the shuttle might not be faster or more convenient than the train.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

don't worry about shuttles. You can take the train from the airport to downtown in the middle of all hotels. Easy to walk from there. Or super shuttle or Uber, but the train is the easiest and cheapest.

Sheraton is nice, have stayed at the Homewood Suites, Hilton, Crown, and Renaissance. All are fine, they're hotels. No idea about the Hyatt, but I'd suspect the shuttle might not be faster or more convenient than the train.

Thanks for the tip Steve.  I didn't know about the rail.  I just pulled up the Sound Transit info on their site.  Looks like I can get right form the airport to University St. Station which is just a few blocks down from the Sheraton...and it's only $3!!!  Taxi's were charging $45.  I can see this being a pain if you had checked luggage but I'll be traveling light with just overhead baggage.  Definately going this route.

0 rows returned

• yw. It can be crowded during busy times, and certainly it's not quick, though in traffic it can be as fast as a taxi. I've had Ubers charge $22 from the airport, and $82 going back with busy times.

Lots of people use it, and there can be space for bags, so it's not too bad. Easy walk out of SEA terminal and then you come out a few blocks from everything downtown.

• Y.B. wrote:

Ray K wrote:

I started this thread over here for questions like this...

Actually your post is what inspired me to post this topic.  I figured where else could I find people that have likely gone to Pass in the past.  I'm being honest here but I didn't realize the harm in starting another post.  I was going to chime in over on the other one but seeing as that post needed a friendly bump, I wasn't sure if it was going to get any eyeballs.

Congrats on your first talk at Pass!

Thanks! 🙂  No worries -- I just figured one thread would reduce clutter, but that's just me.

Anyway, in regards to your question -- I couldn't afford the rates for the hotels that PASS recommended (I'm doing this on my own dime), so I got an AirBnB.  I made it a point to get one by a light rail station so that I don't have to rent a car.

As for other first-timer advice, I'm a first-timer myself.  If it's helpful, I've written some 'blog articles about what I'm going through as I plan my first PASS Summit.  </ShamelessPlug>

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply