Pass SP an "Array" or .NET loop and multiple SP calls

• Okay folks, here's my situation. A .NET process will be shredding an XML document which will have a list of transactions that will need to be passed to a stored procedure which will insert into a table. There can be N number of transactions and there will be 3 values I will be passed. I can have the .NET application loop over the transactions and call the SP for each one or I can have the .NET application pass an "array" that I will parse in SQL. There is logic to determine which transactions will be passed so you can't just pass the XML document. The current production SQL Server is 2005, so I can't do a table-valued parameter and I'm not sure I would even if I could because of some of the limitations.

What are your recommendations? Loop and 1 at a time or some kind of "array" that I parse in SQL?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Impedance mismatch...there is no right answer. Do whatever is easiest for you to code and maintain, and performs well enough to meet your SLA.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
    There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply