Partition Order_Products line table based on date in Order header table

• Hi,

I have an Order_Products table which has all products for all orders in our database for the past 5 years. The Order_Products table is transactionally replicated on our reporting server from our production server.

What I would like to do for reporting purposes is partition the Order_Products table to contain only the past 3 months of order_Products (based on join with Orders table) in 1 partition and the rest of the data in the other partition.

Therefore when running reports a query will only be made on the partition with the last 3 months worth of data.

Does this seem doable? The partitioned order_products would still need to be replicated from the production server as its constantly being updated.

Thanks for any tips / advice. I have not attempted anything like this before!

• JayK (12/12/2010)

Hi,

I have an Order_Products table which has all products for all orders in our database for the past 5 years. The Order_Products table is transactionally replicated on our reporting server from our production server.

What I would like to do for reporting purposes is partition the Order_Products table to contain only the past 3 months of order_Products (based on join with Orders table) in 1 partition and the rest of the data in the other partition.

Therefore when running reports a query will only be made on the partition with the last 3 months worth of data.

Does this seem doable? The partitioned order_products would still need to be replicated from the production server as its constantly being updated.

Thanks for any tips / advice. I have not attempted anything like this before!

You might need to denormalize a little bit and include the OrderDate from the OrderHeader table in the OrderDetails table and then partition on the OrderDate in the OrderDetails table. You could easily add a trigger to the OrderHeader table or add the code to the stored procedure that adds the detail records to the table OrderDetails table.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply