Partition

• Hi All,

I have a table which has around 50 million records and its increasing exponentially, and it stores the information of user and his attended question details for eg:sample data looks like this

ScheduleUserId,QuestionId,MaxScore,UserScore,IsCorrect,HintUsed

2345 32 2 2 1 0

2345 33 2 0 0 0

etc

we thought of doing the partition please provide some good approaches for this .

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thanks stewart,

We are using the scheduleuserid in most of the cases in where clause and sometimes questionId along with that.

and currently we have only one file group .

please suggest.

• Hi,

Just a matter of complementing our friend's answer:

How many disk do you have available to spread your files?

Why do you want to split your table? [Is it for increasing performance?]::[Is it a matter of space?]

You have also to create a Partitioned Index and not just common index to get best performance.

First of all you have to measure why you want to have the database split then we can go with further investigation.

You can see my youtube channel I have a video talking about partitioned tables

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDx8XCoAw3w

Best Regards,
    Marcos Rosa / marcosfac@gmail.com

• Thanks stewart,

I understand most of your points except the below point

>build the table on the new filegroup

I have to do partition for existing table

and can you please suggest the way to do that point('build the table on the new filegroup')

• Thanks Rosa,

I don't know about the availability of disks,but we want partition to improve the performance

Please suggest in this regard

• Hi

Actually I have a requirement as below

1) To have a database in sql server 2008 with a set of tables (which will have the fields snapshotdate and frequency along with other data fields)

2) This set of tables should maintain only the latest 2 daily snapshot dates of data and latest 3 monthly snapshot dates of data and the older one should be removed everytime the new data comes in.

--> Please let me know the complete steps of how we can do it through partitions in SQL server 2008 which I require very urgently

Thanks,

Cletus

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply